Prince William's Wedding Crunch Cake

Thanks to Marie, who posted the link to the UK Daily Mail where this recipe was printed.

Ingredients:

> 200g (7oz)rich tea biscuits
> 100g (3 1/2 oz) walnut halves, roughly chopped
> 100g (3 1/2 oz) pistachio nuts
> 10 glace cherries
> 2 ready-made meringue nests, roughly broken into small pieces
> 150g (5 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
> 1 tablespoon golden syrup
> 400g (14 oz) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
> edible gold stars to sprinkle

Method:

> Break the biscuits into small pieces into a large bowl. Add the nuts, cherries and meringue pieces and mix together.
> In a separate bowl, put the butter, golden syrup and chocolate and melt over a pan of simmering water.
> Fold the biscuit mixture into the chocolate mixture.
> Line a 23cm (9inch) diameter cake tin with clingfilm, leaving plenty of extra film hanging over the edge to help you turn out the cake later. Spoon the mixture into the tin, then place in fridge to set, 6-8 hours or overnight.
> When set, remove cake from tin, peel away clingfilm and sprinkle with the edible stars.
> Serve sliced into thin wedges.

I remember my mum making something very similar to this when I was a very young girl, probably around four years old.
In those days there was no such thing as clingfilm, so cake tins were greased with butter, and lined with paper, even for cold things.
I don't remember if there were nuts in our cake, but I do remember mum using milk coffee or milk arrowroot biscuits.
Instead of breaking them up and mixing them in, mum would make this in layers in a square tin, a layer of chocolate mix, a layer of biscuits etc, when it was turned out, she'd melt a small amount of chocolate and use it to "glue" glace cherries on top as decoration.
I remember this being very, very sweet, and only being allowed a small piece at a time.

Comments

  1. Saw a picture in the newspaper of the wedding cake and it was massive, looked yummmmmmy all the same :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found the recipe! Have you made it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure McVities pulled out something swish for the wedding, but it was based on the good old fridge cake.

    My mum made the same cake as your mum did, but with Chocolate Ripple biscuits. I vaguely remember one with melted chocolate and condensed milk with glacé cherries, nuts and fruit through it as well. But mostly it was Granitas or Milk Arrowroot or Yo-Yos broken up and mixed in with chocolate and golden syrup. Then covered with chocolate and then chocolate sprinkles. My brothers called it Chocolate Concrete.

    My blood sugar levels shot through the ceiling just listing those ingredients. So of course now I want to make it - lol. After I've perfected the home made Tim Tams :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The smaller portion is going to be in heaven when I make this for him. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lightening; I remember it being very sweet and chocolatey.

    Windsmoke; I saw a picture of William's cake over at JahTeh's page.

    Carol; no, I haven't made it yet. I don't plan to make it until I have a few thousand people to share it with. It's way too much for just me.

    Marie; I don't remember chocolate ripple biscuits being around when I was little. I think they date from the 70's.

    EC; you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only ten glace cherries?

    Double it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Rich Tea biscuits.
    Bless William for being himself and not bowing to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. R.H. I agree ten is not enough. My mum used to put in the whole packet, but cut the cherries in half first.

    Ann; They go well with a hot cuppa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs